Written by: VARAVASA
Dance is one of the most natural forms of self-expression and while we know no two people’s moves are the same we built this list of some of our favorite types of festival dancers. Hope you enjoy it!
- Shufflers - To those of you born in the ’90s and beyond, this dance has been around longer than you’ve been alive. Originally the Melbourne Shuffle in the ’80s, it is now more popularly referred to as “cutting shapes,” and is one of the most recognizable EDM dances out there. Shufflers will show you fast heel-toe footwork, with occasional spins, meshed into the heart-pounding tones and bass we all love. This dance emphasizes the individual’s ability to freestyle. We absolutely recommend you check out some of our favorite shufflers in the game… these are the types of dancers that draw crowds for their skilled showmanship. Shout out: @jolieanastasia @savnhale @cici @vansecco @holyshapes @kathryeaddy @marygrace___ @laurencorazza @ciaraloves.u @samantha_dahn @gabbyjdavid @ecruz_n & many more!
- Headbangers - Where my bass heads at?!? No festival is complete without bumping into these hype men. Their neglect for CTE, desire to get a “rail spot”, and sole mission of providing the pure energy we all need is truly a thing of beauty. When Busta Rhymes said “Break Ya Fuckin Neck” back in 2001 they not only took it seriously but took it to a whole nother level... and for that we thank them.
- Arm Twizzlers - Someone once quoted, life’s a roller coaster, you can either hold on tight or put your hands up and enjoy the ride. These folks are the latter. The Twizzlers are unlike the shuffler whose feet do most of the work. This dancing style is about the upper body. Waving their arms and hands in their air, they sway like branches in the wind or to those feeling themselves a bit too much, like a blowup doll at your local Honda dealership. If you follow closely though, you will see that they are doing much more than meets the eye. They may believe they are actually conducting the performance in their own mind… To these visionaries, we love you and implore fellow goers to pat them on the back as they perfect their symphony... Just watch out not to spill their molly, I mean vodka, I mean ice water.
- Totem Pole Couple - The ultimate duet at any festival comprised of an unsung hero slowly shaking his hips right to left praying his knees don’t buckle and the goddess that rests upon his shoulders waving her hands like Beyonce with all of her single ladies. These two truly are the Yin to the other Yang and while one rises above the crowd and takes in the perfect view the other hopes the deed does not go forgotten when the tent zips up under the stars ;)
- Light Performers - Now, the best for last! These are the hoop spinning, poi flowing, space whipping, and glove mesmerizing volunteers that truly give back to the EDM community. Through their vibrant lights, they perform show after show, typically a free spectacle for any passerby. If you are fortunate to meet one of them, you should consider it a gifted from the festival gods. If possible, you must ask one the dancer to blow your mind, and chances are… they will. You will find small crowds circled around these luminescent dancers, sitting in pow wows, just to get a taste of face-melting visuals. We are grateful for the light performers, or “painters of the night” who consistently give back to the scene, elevating everyone’s experiences to a new level.
Which one are you? Now go dance the night away!
THE 5 TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU SEE AT A RAVE & MUSIC FESTIVAL
The Castaway - We all have that friend that slams open the door at 3am, no phone or wallet, who you haven’t seen for 8 hours, and looks like they just got out of a cage match with a sumo wrestler. The story they tell you about their day sounds like it came straight from the plot of a Steven Spielberg academy award winner. This is a classic move for The Castaway. Don’t be surprised if you lose them again the next day.
Rave Mom - The Rave Mom of the group is a staple of the music festival community and is always looking out for her squad. Constantly checking on everyone to make sure they have enough of whatever it is their heart desires. When you are weaving through a crowd to get to the next set, the Rave Mom is always leading the charge and holding something high in the air as a marker to keep the squad together. Please, give this woman some love, she deserves it!
The Giver - There’s always that person that you run into at a rave that is just simply a giver. Need water? I got you! Cotton Mouthed? Please, take my gum! On a bad trip? No worries, let me rub this lavender on your temple and bring you back to life. The giver is truly what makes the music festival community the amazing place that it is.
The Front Rower - Have you always wondered how this person always gets to the front row of every set? How many shoulders they slid by, people they’ve pushed, and disgusted looks they have taken to make it happen. I don’t know if it’s right to give this person respect or question the hell out of this type of festival goer. Nonetheless, there is no doubt The Front Rower is inches from the railing in the front row of every set.
That Random Old Dude - At every festival or rave you have been to there is no doubt you will run into That Random Old Dude vibing in the crowd. It’s very likely that random old dude is a grade A creeper or he’s just smiling and reliving his glory days like he was back in the ’70s at Woodstock.
This blog was written & sponsored by VARAVASA